My Blog List

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Week 14: Post of Choice

I am the only counselor in my building.  It's probably that way at most elementary schools in our area.  That can be a very lonely feeling at times because no one else in the building really understands what a counselor does on a daily basis.  I meet with other counselors in my district for PLC meetings several times a year and I reallly look forward to that time.  One of the benefits to this practicum has been my regular meetings with the middle school counselor.  Even though she works at a different level, she has a better understanding of what I do and deal with each day at school.  We have had several discussions about how to better define our roles at each of our schools.  It has also been nice to share activities we use with small groups and during individual counseling. 

1 comment:

  1. It is nice that all of your counselors meet throughout the year. In our district, our counselors are part of a cadre that meets once per month to share ideas. There is one counselor at each of our two middle schools and one of our elementary schools actually has two counselors due to high enrollment. Having others to bounce ideas off of is great.

    ReplyDelete