My Blog List

Monday, October 22, 2012

Magic Wand

If I had a magic wand, I would love to be able to change our students’ home environment.  The family environment plays a huge role in children’s performance at school. I can see a tremendous difference in the home lives of our students just since I began my career in education.   I can’t imagine how much easier this would make a counselors job.  This is a huge undertaking but I think we have to be willing to try different things.   I think I could help influence the change at my school by hosting more family nights with various parenting strategies, tips on early literacy, etc.  The topics could be endless.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the family night events are a wonderful opportunity to provide parenting tips. Our district offered them last year and actually provided free materials for the parents to take home. As an example, one of the family night events focused on reading strategies. The parents were provided with books to take home and read with their children. I feel like anything we do that involves bringing parents into the school setting to provide them with resources and tips to help their child succeed is a positive thing.

    ReplyDelete