My Blog List

Friday, September 7, 2012

My Week

At Tilden Hogge Elementary we began our fall MAP testing this week.  MAP stands for measures of academic progress.  This is a test the students take on the computer to determine instructional levels in reading and math and it measures growth over time.  It is my responsibility to schedule all classes for testing at both Tilden Hogge and McBrayer Elementary kindergarten.  I also stay in the computer lab and help monitor during testing. 

The students always know their scores from the previous MAP test and have a goal for improvement.  We discuss goal setting during guidance class so this is a good way to reinforce those lessons.

During weeks when we are MAP testing, I do not have much extra time to see students on an individual basis but I get to interact with every student in the school.  It will be September 20th before I get all classes completed at Tilden Hogge and McBrayer Kindergarten.

4 comments:

  1. Next week is MAP testing week at my high school. Unlike your elementary program, individual teachers administer the MAP test. I will spend all day with my biology students completing MAP testing on Wednesday of this week. I did have the opportunity to spend an hour with the elementary guidance counselor this week as she administered the MAP test to children in her school. Guidance counselors at all levels wear so many hats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you. We just completed our MAP testing on Friday. It was such a relief to know that it is finished until January. I love how it lets the students know their score right away and gives the teachers goals to work toward, however it is so time consuming that I always dread it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reflection really emphasizes the need for assessment coordinators in every building. Fortunately, at the high school I work at the counselors do not have to proctor MAP testing. The elementary school counselor that I am working with does have to do this. I realize that assessment is part of the counseling needs of students, but It seems that so many other areas of student development are neglected by using counselors as assessment coordinators. Counselors could better students by talking with them about goals on MAP testing rather than actually administering the test.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did MAP testing this week as well. Luckily, our librarians do it. Our academic dean really wants to tie the MAP scores to what level the class the students take. I am in charge of ILPs so I have to spend that week in the lab. Like you, even though I hate spending that much time in the lab, I enjoy getting to touch base with all of our students!

    ReplyDelete