My Blog List

Thursday, September 27, 2012

2 movies



One movie I would recommend would be Soul Surfer.  It teaches students to persevere no matter what their circumstances.  I think counselors would like it because it's just sooo inspirational.  I used clips from this movie during guidance class one year and the kids loved it.  You can't help but be inspired when you see her try to learn and surf again with just one arm.  The little girls especially enjoyed this and the little boys were drawn in by the SHARK!



I figured this was one movie (Freedom Writers) that lots of people would have on their favorites list but I still had to put it on mine because I have always loved this movie.  I also read the Freedom Writers Diary that inspired the movie.  It covers so many issues but one of the things I loved most about the movie was the since of home and community that was developed in their classroom.  I think the atmosphere in the classroom demonstrated the core conditions that we talk about so much in counseling.  In the students' classroom they felt acceptance, respect, warmth, and caring.  Please take the time to watch it if you haven't seen it already and I'm definitely going to watch it again because I haven't seen it in a while.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to watch "Freedom Writers" again. It is one of my favorite movies and I never thought before about how it could be incorporated into guidance lessons. I have never watched "Soul Surfer" but have heard that it is an inspiring movie. I think that young and old alike benefit from movies based on real life events. Children of all ages love movies and I think it is awesome to be able to draw from some of the themes in these movies and incorporate them into classroom guidance lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the movie Freedom Writers. It covers so many issues. It is one of those hope giving movies not only for students, but also for educators and for counselors. Most people can find something in this movie that is relatable to themselves in some way, it brings real life issues to the front and shows people positively dealing with them in order to turn their lives around.

    ReplyDelete